Welcome to a growing library of content assembled by the Divination Foundation, related to increasing our self-knowledge and intuitive decision-making skills!
Interviews with Paul O’Brien
- Rising Stars with Miriam Knight, featuring an interview with Paul O’Brien about Cultivating Intuitive Intelligence (November 4, 2015)
- Janet Connor speaks with Paul O’Brien about Transforming the I Ching on The Soul-Directed Life. (September 17, 2015)
- Host Cyrus Webb welcomes Paul O’Brien to #ConversationsLIVE to discuss his new book and what he hopes it does for the reader. (August 5, 2015)
- KPFK Aware show. Lisa Garr interviews Paul O’Brien about Cultivating Intuitive Intelligence. (July 15, 2015)
- Caroline Casey Welcomes Paul O’Brien on Coyote Network News (June 23, 2015)
- The Dr. Pat Show with Host Dr. Pat Baccili and Guest Paul O’Brien (June 17, 2015)
- Conscious Inquiry host Alexis Brooks interviews Paul O’Brien about “Great Decisions, Perfect Timing” (May 13, 2015)
Talks by Paul O’Brien
- Paul O’Brien, featured speaker at New thought Center for Spiritual Living (1/1/16)
Tools and Resources
- The Visionary I Ching — Hexagram Lookup and Text – cast your own coins and consult the best modern version of the ancient oracle
- Paulo’s Manifestation Treatment — a template for downloading and editing
- Learn How to Give Yourself an I Ching Reading
- Browse the Visionary I Ching paintings: Hexagram Artwork
- Lectures and Classes
- Some favorite spiritual resources on the web: Fun Films
Browse by Type of Divination
- Belief Engineering: chapter excerpt from Great Decisions, Perfect Timing
From an Eastern point of view, all beliefs are opinions based on the best perceptions we can make right now, given our upbringing and conditioning. Understanding this helps us be more open and flexible and able to allow our beliefs to naturally evolve based on new learning experiences.
- Paul O’Brien Q&A with Terence McKenna
Download a PDF transcript of Paul’s conversation with visionary Terence McKenna on the subject of the I Ching.
- On the History of Divination
Human beings have always looked for the answers to life’s great mysteries. Why are we here? Who or what controls our destiny? How does life work? What does the future hold? There is solid archeological evidence that a need to know and deep spiritual seeking are universal human traits, and also that some form of divination has been used since the earliest times, to support this quest.
- Divination Becomes a Popular Trend, But How Does It Work?
Ancient systems of divination were originally created by mystics to support self-knowledge and divinely informed decision-making. Now that they are becoming popular, can divination systems still really work … and how?
- Divination in the Bible and the “Gift of Prophecy”
Most people whose faith relies on bronze-age scriptures believe that divination of any kind is a sin condemned by God (even though their scriptures are definitely mixed on the subject). Fundamentalists claim that astrologers and diviners are agents of the devil leading the weak to damnation. They selectively quote the Bible to back up their condemnation of divination systems and intuitive powers. But they are ignoring the fact that the Bible also contains numerous verses that show God approving the use of divination as a way to decipher His will and make enlightened decisions.
- Bible Verses regarding Divination
Most Christians are taught that the Bible prohibits the use of divination. However, there are numerous places in the Bible where God is clearly in favor of the esoteric arts. While it is by no means complete (you will not find passages referring to dream interpretation, channeling, or prophesy in this list), this index of New King James Version Bible passages proves that the Hebrews had a divination system and that Jahweh often supported the skillful use of it as a way of revealing divine will.
- Origins of I Ching
The I Ching is the oldest of all organized divination systems. It is also one of the oldest books in the world. Its first interpretive text was composed around 1000 B.C.
- How to Give Yourself a Reading with the I Ching
Step-by-step instruction for casting the coins to determine your present and future hexagram, with complete modern text — the illustrated Visionary I Ching — also provided.
- Origins of Astrology
Early astrology was a marriage of astronomy and mythology. Sophisticated ancient cultures—including Mayan, Indian and Chinese—mastered astronomy to determine celestial events like solstices, equinoxes, moon cycles, seasons, and eclipses. They also used it to help interpret events or determine auspicious times for various activities.
- Origins of Tarot
The system of divination known as ‘Tarot’ first became popular as a card game in Europe during the early fifteenth century, assisted by the invention of the printing press. Early images of twenty of the twenty-two Major Arcana cards (Arcana means “secrets”) can be seen in an Italian deck of A.D. 1440.
- Origins of Numerology
The art of Numerology has existed since the ancient discovery of mathematics. To this day, most cultures attach special meaning to certain numbers and their position in a sequence.
- Origins of Runes
Runes are letters of an ancient Germanic alphabet with each conveying a unique symbolic meaning. By tapping timeless archetypes, Runes were designed to produce a greater awareness of the connections between all things, the nature of cause and effect, and the interactions between our personal lives and Nature.
- Yin-Yang: The Symbol of the Tao
The symbol of the Tao — a circle enclosing two equal interlocking paisleys — is referred to as the “tai chi” symbol, or sometimes as the “yin-yang.” It is said that the symbol of the Tao — and the use of the I Ching — support within us the “Three Jewels of the Tao” — love, humility and moderation.